Research programs are a popular option for many students who want to go abroad in summer and many applications for summer 2023 have deadlines that are fast approaching. Now is the time to start preparing your application materials and meet with an IIP Advisor.
Please consult UW Study Abroad’s Covid-19 FAQs for updates on university travel.
Some opportunities are due this fall, so get your resumes and recommendations ready:
- UAS7 (multiple cities in Germany) due October 1, 2022 (for spring of 2023)
- Montclair IRES (multiple cities in Japan) due November 9th
- TUM PREP (Munich, Germany) due November 20th
- DAAD RISE (multiple cities in Germany) due December 15th
Others will be due in early 2023:
- NUS SERIUS (Singapore, with IAP study abroad)
- Amgen Scholars (Singapore, Tokyo or Kyoto, Japan)
- RWTH Aachen UROP (Aachen, Germany) due January 9, 2023
- UAS7 (multiple cities in Germany) due February 15, 2023 (for fall of 2023)
- UTRIP (Tokyo, Japan)
- UTokyo Kashiwa (UTSIP) (Tokyo, Japan)
Thinking ahead for 2024? Here are some others to be aware of:
- OIST (Okinawa, Japan) application for fall 2023/spring 2024 likely due in April
- Fulbright Canada – Mitacs Globalink (multiple cities in Canada) usually due in October
- CALS Study Abroad programs in Thailand, Germany and England
Most research programs require only English, and many offer a stipend or scholarship to selected students!
Pro tip: Read application requirements carefully and apply early, since applications require multiple materials such as recommendations, transcripts, and personal statements. Let IIP know if you need help on a requirement (e.g. forms for some in Germany).
IIP also directly coordinates a few additional research opportunities with institutes and alumni abroad in Finland, Iceland, Germany, and Costa Rica. These can be found in the IIP Database, with most updates coming in January 2023 and applications due February 19th.
We also offer virtual research positions! See our database for more information.
Check out our slides from our Research Abroad info session for more details.
View slides from our recent Research Abroad info for additional ideas.