Research programs are a popular option for many students who want to go abroad in summer and many applications for summer 2022 have deadlines that are fast approaching. Now is the time to start preparing your application materials and meet with an IIP Advisor.
Please consult UW Study Abroad’s Covid-19 FAQs for updates on university travel.
An opportunity in Germany is due in December, so get your resumes and recommendations ready:
- DAAD RISE (multiple cities in Germany) due December 15th
Others will be due in early 2022:
- NUS SERIUS (Singapore, with IAP study abroad)
- Amgen Scholars (Singapore) (Tokyo or Kyoto, Japan)
- RWTH Aachen UROP (Aachen, Germany)
- UAS7 (multiple cities in Germany)
- UTRIP (Tokyo, Japan) is currently suspended but may open in January 2022
- UTokyo Kashiwa (UTSIP) (Tokyo, Japan) due January 6, 2022
Thinking ahead for 2023? Here are some others to be aware of:
- OIST (Okinawa, Japan) semester or summer 2023 with deadlines on April 15th and October 15th
- Montclair IRES (multiple cities in Japan) will likely be due in October
- Amgen Scholars in Beijing, China – it is only open to students in China for 2022
- Fulbright Canada – Mitacs Globalink (multiple cities in Canada) usually due in October
- TUM PREP (Munich, Germany) due end of November 2022
- CALS Study Abroad programs in Thailand, Germany and England
Most research programs require only English, and many offer a stipend or scholarship to selected students!
Pro tip: Read application requirements carefully and apply early, since applications require multiple materials such as recommendations, transcripts, and personal statements. Let IIP know if you need help on a requirement (e.g. forms for some in Germany).
IIP also directly coordinates a few additional research opportunities with institutes and alumni abroad in Finland, Iceland, Germany, and Costa Rica. These can be found in the IIP Database, with most updates coming in January 2022 and applications due February 20th.
We also offer virtual research positions! These are available for spring and summer with positions such as
Check out our slides from our Research Abroad info session for more details.
View slides from our recent Research Abroad info for additional ideas.